Tuesday 22 May 2012

Shoe inspiration

This is a sort of unusual first post, really. My main purpose for starting this blog is to document my sewing/knitting general arty crafty projects, but I haven't really had time to do any of those lately. What I have been doing is looking through other blogs, and seeing a lot of really cool inspiration posts. I know I risk this becoming a completely different blog to the one I've had in mind, but hopefully I can magange to mash together some of my own inspirational/ general musings posts along with the sewing stuff/ tutorials etc. that I have planned. With that in mind, onwards, I say!


Pompadours by American Duchess
I've been admiring these shoes by American Duchess, and thinking that they'd look really good, if a little quirky, even in 'everyday' clothes today. They're perhaps not the kind of thing you can immediately see yourself wearing, which I sort of have to admit is a lot of the appeal for me. I'd like to be able to wear them though, even if they're completely not in my price range or at all the kind of thing I'd normally buy. They've got a presale going on at the moment, if you want to have a look though!


The picture on the right sort of reminds me of ballet shoes; this might have more to do with the model's pose than the shoes themselves, although I'm not complaining!

On second thoughts, it might have to with the fact that it reminds me a bit of Louis XIV. For around thirteen or fourteen years, I danced regularly every week, and I have always had a real interest in both the actual dance and the costuming. When I was younger, my parents gave me a really good book about the history of ballet, and there was a brilliant picture of the Louis in full ballet costume.

Needless to say, it was a tad different to modern ballet dress! I think what struck me about these shoes was the similarilty in style to the shoe Louis was wearing in the picture. I didn't have much idea about when he lived, either, so I was pleasantly surprised when a quick google revealed that the dates for his reign and the shoe inspiration at least vaguely match up!

All this has  seriously reminded me that I need some proper, decent shoes. All of mine seem to be Primark bought, cheap, flat and really bad for my feet; I definitely need to rectify and find some which are both better looking and more sturdy...

How do you feel about these shoes? Would you wear them on a day to day basis? Or are they something to be admired but worn only as costume?

No comments:

Post a Comment